Monday, January 21, 2013

Southwestern Chicken Wrap Recipe


What should we make for dinner, Mom?
I was looking for something easy to make for dinner, and was feeling in the mood for something Tex-Mexy.  So, this is what came to be dinner tonight--Southwestern Chicken Wraps.  Why was I looking for something easy to make, you might ask???  Because this sweet little angel face would not let me put him down.  He sat for about 3.5 seconds in the bouncer seat before screaming, and then I ended up putting him in the baby carrier to finish dinner. As soon as I picked him up, he was giggling like crazy.  He likes to be involved in the cooking process.  




P.S.  Please don't mind my disheveled look.  Right after he took this picture, JB told me I looked like a hot mess--hot in a "mom kind of way".  And, no, I didn't get a chance to take a shower today.  Maybe tomorrow.

You could really throw any toppings into this recipe (like tacos), and I'm sure it would turn out yummy.  I've been trying to "up" my protein, because I feel like I am ALWAYS starving.  That's part of breastfeeding right??  So, the beans and chicken helped to fill me up.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
Boneless/Skinless Chicken breasts
Salt/Pepper
Cumin
Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
Mexican rice
Black Olives
Tomatoes
Cheddar Cheese
Sauteed Onions
Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

Directions:

1.  Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin to taste.
2.  Grill or saute the chicken breasts until cooked through.  Then, set aside to cool.  When it has cooled, cut the chicken into strips.

3.  Turn on your panini maker.  (If you don't have one, you could easily just use a grill pan or frying pan with a "brick" on top.  This is how panini night used to happen in our house before we got a panini maker!)

4.  While your panini maker is heating up, get all of your other toppings ready.  I made the rice ahead of time, but you could easily use the "ready made" microwaveable rice.

5.  On a flour tortilla, sprinkle a small amount of cheddar cheese on one half of the tortilla.  Add chicken, beans, olives, tomatoes, onions, and any other toppings you like.

6.  Roll the tortilla up like a burrito. Brush a small amount of olive oil (or cooking spray) on the seam of the wrap.  This will help it to stay closed up and not fall apart.

7.  Place the wraps on the panini maker to warm through.



Serve with salsa, sour cream, or guacamole.  ENJOY!




1 comment:

Brian & Ashley said...

I've had plenty of days of carrying Hudson around in a carrier and no shower days - perks of being a mom. I'm going to have to try the wrap - looks so good.