Friday, August 3, 2012

A Few PINteresting Projects...


I jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon a while ago, and just like you, I LOVE all of the great ideas I find.  I'm hoping lots of you are like me in that you pin hundreds of recipes, home improvement DIY projects, and gift ideas---and then you never do anything with them. I also hope you pin recipes for delicious full-fat chocolate desserts, and then right after that you pin workout plans for how to get rid of baby belly weight.  You are like me....right??  Please make me feel better about this.

Now that I'm not working and I'm home again, I've made it a goal to actually try out some of my pins.  So, I am sharing 5 Pinterest Projects I've attempted this week.  Here we go!

1.  A Summer Wreath:  Well, I decided that it is August, and it is probably time for me to take down my glittery winter wreath on the front door that I had put up in January.  While it looked festive and very winter-wonderland-like in January, it looked a little out of place in the 100 degree temperatures in July.  I already have a yarn fall wreath that I made last year (another Pinterest find), but I wanted to put up something different before those harvest colors come out.  I found a similar wreath on Pinterest, but tweaked mine a little bit.  I loved the color combination of robin's egg blue, red, and black/white polka dots. What do you think??

2.  Zucchini Quiche:  Ok, people....please tell me that you are inundated with zucchini from your gardens too.  We don't have a vegetable garden this year (it's a goal for next year), but my parents have a big one.  Everytime I saw my mom this month, she handed over more zucchini.  They were multiplying in the garden, and they were HUGE.  I made the usual suspects with zucchini at first (zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, stuffed zucchini, zucchini casserole, etc).  Then, I started looking on Pinterest for new ideas.  I came across this zucchini quiche recipe that looked pretty good and gave it a whirl.  I added mushrooms to mine, and used 4 eggs instead of 2 eggs.  (I think this recipe is more for a zucchini pie than a quiche, and I wanted quiche!)  It turned out pretty good--I would just add a little more salt next time.

3.  Cleaning Supplies Organizer:  Does anyone else hoard cleaning supplies?  I think I might have a problem.  Anytime I go to Target, I end up picking up more Clorox wipes, Windex, or, Pledge.  Then I get home and realize that I already have several of them scattered around the house.  So, I combined and organized them.  Then, I hung them up in a shoe organizer that was just sitting in our basement.  Now, I can see all of the cleaning supplies hanging in their place on the back of the laundry room door.  Genius!

4.  Tub/Shower Cleaner:  I pinned this one a while ago, and then all of a sudden it seemed like everyone was pinning it so I thought it was time to try it out.

The recipe:
1 Cup of White Vinegar (heated in the microwave for 2 minutes until steaming hot)
1 Cup of Dawn dish detergent.

Mix them together in a spray bottle and shake.  Then, spray it all over your tub or shower.

My shower was not incredibly dirty, but it did have some spots on it.  And, I'll try just about anything so that I don't have to bend over and scrub the shower floor while 8 months pregnant.  It's not pretty, and I get out of breath pretty easily.  I found that this worked really well on the actual floor of the shower.  I left it on overnight, and really just turned on the shower and used a washcloth with my foot to rinse off the suds.  It is sparkly clean now.  HOWEVER, I read that it was supposed to be good for hard-water stains on shower doors.  I didn't find it to work at all on my shower doors.  When we moved into our house a year ago, you could see through the shower doors.  They were spotless. (Just as a side note--The lady that lived here before us was a cleaning maniac, and apparently I am not keeping up with everything as she did.)  Now the shower doors have little white spots on them and they look cloudy.  I've become a little obsessed with figuring out how to get these spots off of the doors ever since cleaning the floor. I've tried CLR Kitchen and Bath, Kaboom, Lysol Soap Scum Remover, and every other cleaner under the sun.  DOES ANYONE HAVE THE ANSWER??  I've read that you should try using a half of a lemon with salt or sugar as an abrasive to clean.  I guess I will try that out next.  I know I sound crazy (shouldn't I be doing something else right now?), but it is bugging me!

5.  Making Room for Baby in the Kitchen:  I started out emptying one kitchen cabinet to get it ready for baby bottles, bibs, and plastic dishware.  Then, before I knew it, every single kitchen cabinet was dumped out on the floor.  I always need to make a bigger mess before things look better.  Oh well--it gave me a good excuse to organize everything.  The picture below is not our kitchen cabinet (it's the picture I pinned).  I got white baskets, and they're pretty much empty now.  But, hopefully they will be filled up with bottles and binkies soon enough!   



Do you get as wrapped up in Pinterest as me?  Does it make you feel like you could be the craftiest, most organized, creative, and well-dressed person in the world?  I'd love to hear some of your favorite Pinterest projects that you've actually done and begin following you too.  Have a PINtastic day!
 

3 comments:

ep said...

all part of the nesting process! Come organize my house, please.

Julie said...

You know that I definitely love Pinterest! Love all of your projects - especially the wreath. I've had the same one up since early spring - I might have to try a summer one! Miss you here!

Sara Matyiko Chorba said...

SERIOUSLY you are nesting!!! LOVE it :-) and YES a Mr Clean magic eraser works wonders on the spots on the shower then afterwards use windex... miss you!!