Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Crossing the Border with Breastmilk

As many of you loyal readers know, I'll be taking my first vacation sans baby with the hubs in the middle of April.  I've mentioned my anxiety over leaving Max for the first time in previous posts, and unfortunately as the time creeps closer, I'm not feeling any less anxious.  BUT, I am starting to get more excited about sun, sand, and cocktails on the beach.

One of the reasons for my anxiety is the whole matter of "feeding".  Max has been exclusively breastfed since he was born.  He does occasionally take a bottle with expressed breastmilk, and he has no problem taking a bottle. (thank goodness!)  So, I have been {FRANTICALLY} pumping milk every morning (usually at 4 am, because that is the only time I have time to do it) in order to have enough for him while we are away.  That's at least 160 ounces in case you were wondering.  (And for all of you BFing moms, you know that 160 ounces requires A LOT of pumping.  I can usually get an average of 4 ounces per pumping session.)  I think that I will be able to have enough milk stored up by the time I leave.  I have nothing against formula, but I really don't want to start giving it to him when he's done SO well with breastmilk (or while I'm away).  My worst fear is that I would come back and he would refuse to breastfeed again.  It would make me so sad.  Luckily, I have a best friend who has an abundant oversupply of breastmilk in her freezer, and she's offered me some as backup.  Is that a best friend, or what??  She is truly THE BEST.  :-)  So, he will be taken care of while we are gone for five days.

While we're in Mexico though, I want to continue to pump at the times when I would normally be feeding him so that I can keep my supply up.  So, here is my question for you.  I have been researching how to bring the milk back on the plane.  Nowadays, bringing liquids on a plane is an ordeal.  But, I am not about to just throw out my hard earned pumped milk!  (Obviously, some of it will have to be dumped if I consume one too many margaritas, but that is a whole different story...)  I've read the TSA procedures, and it appears that it shouldn't be a problem.  BUT I've also read the horror stories that some women have gone through trying to do this.  Help me put my mind at ease.  

Have you been away from your baby and had to pump while you were gone?  How did you bring the milk back??  Did the TSA give you a hard time?    What's the easiest method (cooler bag, ice, etc.)?

And just because I couldn't leave you without a few pictures of this cutie...

Doesn't everyone put their baby in a pot?

Playing the Piano (And no...We don't watch the Steve Harvey show.  It was SNL!)


3 comments:

Liz Runningmomma said...

I'm going to San Francisco for a weekend in October for a friend's wedding and I am worried about the same thing! I hope you get some helpful comments! I know how you feel about wasting expressed milk, pretty sure my husband thinks I'm crazy for wanting to bring milk back on the plane.

Brian & Ashley said...

We flew with Hudson several months ago and I had a bottle with breastmilk ready for him and TSA agents were just fine and didn't ask any questions at all. From what I've read, it just kind of depends on who you get. I'm not sure about transporting back-sorry.

Jessenia said...

when we went to florida last year i did bring both breastmilk and formula with me, Tsa did not have an issue, but they did test a sample out of the formula to make sure it was obviously formula! I think you will be ok, double check and call the airline. xxoo