Monday, May 27, 2013

A Lesson to be Learned


I've been thinking a lot about the victims of the horrific tornadoes that have ripped through our country this week.  There have been so many disasters lately--both natural disasters and others brought on by human beings who are lost, hurting, and confused.  I struggle with understanding why these things happen to good people.

This morning, we went to a special church service where "pets" were invited.  We've recently started going to a church that is very different from any I've ever been to--and I really like it.  Among other things, the minister spoke of how animals live every day "in the present".  They don't worry about what has happened in the past, and they don't worry about the future.  For the most part, they are content with what is happening right now.  Leaving this church service, I vowed to do the same today.  Although I had 3 loads of laundry to finish, grocery shopping to do, and a house that definitely could use some spring cleaning, I did none of those things.  Instead, I laid a big blanket out in our backyard, smeared some sunscreen on my little man, and enjoyed a beautiful spring day.  We played peek-a-boo, I tickled him, shared some hugs, and we laughed together for a few hours on that blanket.  And I don't regret a single minute of it.  I lived "in the present".  And I want to start doing more of that.  Because there are only so many precious moments that we have with the ones we love.  If there is any lesson to be learned in the recent tragedies that have happened, that is it.






1 comment:

Jessenia said...

I really need to do this! Thanks for the motivation! Being pregnant has put me in that nesting stage the last month, but I can't seem to get anything done, so its more frustrating t han anything! :)
Love all the pics! You guys look like you had a wonderful afternoon! xoxo