Thursday, February 7, 2013

Is this normal??

I am SO in love with my little boy.  Like, I can't stand to be away from him for even a few hours.  Really...would you want to be apart from this sweet boy?

I have {maybe} left him 8 times since he was born.  I've been trying to get out a little bit more--grocery store trips, a few times to the gym, and doing some wedding planning with my sister.  I know {in my head, anyway} that it is good for him to be away from me and comfortable with other people.  And, it is good for me to have some "me time".  When I go out without Max, I will leave him with JB or my parents.  Even though JB is comfortable with him and spends lots of time with him when we're all together as a family, it seems like Max melts down and cries everytime I leave him alone with Daddy.  

See??  Look how happy they are together.  :-)

I'm not talking a few tears and some whining.  I mean that I get home and my little man is sobbing and whimpering with bloodshot eyes and a bottom lip sticking out.  And, my husband looks so frustrated and upset that he can't calm him.  It breaks my heart.  I know that we just need to keep trying, and hopefully it will get easier for all of us.

But, in really good news---JB worked VERY hard again this past year, and we just found out that he made President's Club again this year.  That means that we will be going on an all-expenses-paid vacation to the Rosewood Mayakoba Resort in Mexico in April.  Doesn't this look amazing??



We've been extremely fortunate that JB works for an incredible company that treats their employees (and spouses) very well.  This means that for the past 4 years, we've been able to go on 100% free vacations to Mexico, Turks and Caicos, and St. Maarten.  Don't hate me!  I am so proud of JB for all of the long hours, late nights, and traveling that he does all year in order to earn these trips.  With all of that being said, I am EXTREMELY anxious about leaving Max for 5 days.  He knows his Lulu and Pops (my parents) very well, and they are SO excited to be watching him while we're away.  I know that they will be just fine, and Max will have so much fun with them.  After all, they did raise 5 kids of their own.  My anxiety has nothing to do with that.  It is more about me.  For the past 4 1/2 months, I've not let him out of my sight for more than a couple of hours.  Even during the night, I have one eye on the video monitor watching him.

What if he cries the whole time we're gone?  What if he refuses to sleep or eat because he's so upset?  (That's a whole other issue---He only takes a bottle every once in a while.  Most of the time he is exclusively breastfed.  This is also something we'll have to start practicing.)  What if he forgets about me?  I know what ya'll are probably thinking.  Meg--you are crazy.  Get on the plane, enjoy fruity cocktails on the beach, massages at the spa, and SLEEP.  I hope that I am able to relax once we get there and do just that.  I am really looking forward to spending some quality time with my hubby and reconnecting with him.  So, mamas out there--Please tell me you've felt like this too and it's normal.  I just need to hear that to make myself feel better.  Thanks--xoxo.


5 comments:

Julie said...

Hey Megan - I went through the SAME thing when Keeley was 5 months old. I had to go to Vegas for work for 6 days. The worst part was the anticipation of having to leave. I dreaded it for two months. When the time came, I was so so so sad to leave her, and I didn't know how I would make it through the week. But, once I got there, I actually enjoyed myself. I missed her like crazy, but after being pregnant for 9 months and then barely leaving her side for the next 5 months (except the month that I had to go into to the office), it was SO nice to have some adult time. I felt guilty that I as having fun without her, but I know that all parents need some time away every so often. To make it a little easier, I Facetimed with her once (maybe twice and even three times) a day.

It did feel like a long week, but I had a blast! By the end of the week though, I was beyond excited to get home to her.

The only downside of the trip for me was that she wouldn't breastfeed at all when I got back - but I wasn't EBFing before the trip since I needed to make sure she had food for when I was away. So that part was really sad and disappointing. My advice would be to make sure he is comfortable taking bottles, but don't overdo the bottle feeding the week before you leave. And try not to be the one that gives him bottles!

Congrats to you and your husband! You will have a great trip! As much as you will miss Max, it will be nice to have some adult time!

Julie

Anonymous said...

He is such a cutie! My son would always cry too when I left him. It got better but was hard to leave him at times. He is almost 8 now and he still loves to be with me. Little boys are so much fun! And that is so exciting about your trip! How fun! I'm a new follower from the linky party. Thanks for hosting. You can find me at http://shewaddleslikeaduck.blogspot.com

Theresa

Unknown said...

Hi Megan

This is totally normal. I was just the same with both of my children - my son was particularly bad and would scream and refuse to let anyone else pick him up (even my husband for the first six months!). He will be absolutely fine when you are away - and the break will do you so much good (those first few months with a baby are so exhausting) - happy Mums make for happy babies. Enjoy your trip.

Found you via the GYB hop and really looking forward to following.

Kate x
http://www.kateathome.com/

Jay Bea Chambers said...

Your son is so adorable and the resort that you are going to looks amazing!

Found you on the blog hop and hope to see some great pictures of your trip.

Have an amazing day!
Janice
http://jaybeachambers.blogspot.com/

L.A. said...

Oh Megan...my baby is 14 years old, and I still get anxious about leaving her!!! :) You are NOT crazy...but enjoy your trip! I am a new follower, and can't wait to hear about your trip! Your baby is precious!

LA :)
www.simplysmilingblog.blogspot.com